This is a simple curry recipe using a few shortcuts to make a quick and very tasty weekday dinner. All dry ingredients can be stored in the pantry and this utilizes frozen chicken that can be stored in the freezer, so you can make this with little planning ahead. Enjoy!
- Curry Spice Packet
- 1 Onion diced
- 3 cloves of Garlic diced
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 2 cups of Chicken Broth
- 2 Frozen Chicken Thighs
- 1 cup dry Basmati Rice
- Pre-heat oven to 400°
- Place frozen chicken thighs on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and place in the center rack of the oven for 45 minutes
- Dice the onion and garlic and sauté in a large skillet 4-5 minutes
- Add the chicken broth, tomato paste, and curry spice packet to the skillet, bring to a boil, then turn heat to medium-low to simmer while the chicken is cooking
- Bring 1-3/4 cups of water to boil in a medium sauce pan, add dry rice and bring back to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 20 minutes. You can leave the lid off and place a wooden spoon across the top to prevent it from boiling over until the temperature lowers, just don’t forget to cover it as soon as you can.
- Add the chicken thighs to the curry and let simmer for 5 minutes, then serve when the rice is ready.
A Few Notes
The chicken thighs can be cooked from frozen with no thawing, and the added olive oil helps keep the outside from drying while the center is still cooking. This works well for chicken breasts as well. You can also use a jar of curry simmer sauce sold in the same international aisle as the spice packets usually, and this adds another shortcut if you do not want to sauté the onion and garlic. The chicken and rice are prepared the same way, and the sauce only needs to be heated in a sauce pan. There are many different curry spice mixes and simmer sauces, so this is a very versatile, easy and flavorful meal. Please subscribe for more recipes and if you have any experiences making curry please share below!